Rihanna brings her Anti World Tour to the Forum May 3.
Arguably the most well-known performer to hail from the island nation of Barbados, Robyn Rihanna Fenty has shredded the music charts since the release of her first studio album, Music of the Sun, in 2005. Even if you’re not a huge Rihanna fan, you’ve probably danced or sung along to at least one of her many hits, from “Pon de Replay,” “SOS” and “Umbrella” to “Only Girl (In the World),” “We Found Love” and “Stay.”
Rihanna continues to dominate the charts with her eighth studio album, Anti, which released as a free download via Tidal at the beginning of this year. The album’s lead single, “Work,” featuring Drake became her 29th top 10 hit, sitting at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for nine weeks.
Rihanna brings her Anti World Tour to Inglewood next Tuesday. To follow are five reasons to head over to Ticketmaster and get yourself some tickets ASAP.
1) Seeing “Work” performed live: Even though it’s a bit hard to decipher every single lyric of this song, you don’t really need to know what RiRi’s singing because the beat is so darn infectious. Add in the rap stylings of Drake, and it’s no wonder the song raced to No. 1 – and stayed there for so long.
2) Tour fashion: Rihanna unveiled her Fenty x Puma Ready-to-Wear Collection at during New York Fashion Week in February with edgy pieces that fall directly in line with her own personal style. The costumes she wears on stage are of course more over the top, but equally as stylish. Look out for second-skin bodysuits, capes, fringe, beading and so much more.
3) Her many hits: Having sold over 200 million records, Rihanna is the only artist to have produced No. 1 single on the Hot 100 chart from seven consecutive albums. Like I said before, even if you aren’t a die-hard member of the Rihanna Navy, there’s at least one or two songs in her catalog that will get you singing along and on your feet dancing at the Forum on Tuesday. I could list them all here, but then I might get in trouble for exceeding my word count!
4) Stage presence/showmanship: Defiant, stunningly beautiful and cool as hell is how I would describe Rihanna’s persona both on and off stage. Her shows are full of the unexpected: There’s no script that she follows in between songs. What you get is 100-percent raw and real. You also get dramatic set pieces, moving bridges and her singing while being suspended above the crowd.
5) Live vocals: Offstage antics and promotional stunts can only take you so far in the music industry, only real talent is awarded by true dedication from fans. Rihanna has the vocal prowess to take the No. 1 songs everyone loves on the radio and perform them just as well on stage. In person, she also demonstrates the vulnerability necessary to make songs like “Stay” and “Love the Way You Lie (Part 2)” tug directly at your heartstrings.
Anti is available now. Rihanna performs May 3 at the Forum. For tickets, visit ticketmaster.com. For more information, visit rihannanow.com.